Monday, April 11, 2011

Blast from the Past #360: TMNT group shot

This is sort of a curious piece. It is not dated, but from the way the Turtles are drawn and the style of my inking on it, I would say it is from the late 1980's or early 1990's. The Turtles have the blank white eye slits we gave them in the black and white MIrage comics… but they also have the initialed belt buckles from the first animated TMNT TV show. And Leonardo has the scabbard and scabbard strap setup from that same show.



So what is this piece? Why was it drawn? And who drew it? I know that I inked it, but it has a certain look to it -- particularly in the way the figures are posed -- that makes me think it is likely -- or at least possible -- that Kevin Eastman penciled it. I just can't remember much more about it. -- PL

6 comments:

  1. Oddly enough it reminds me of the first toyline, like something I would have seen on the cards to the figures. Not grouped together but individual.

    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Mr. Laird, I just wanted to share a fan drawing i did of Leonardo on deviantart

    http://masterofelements.deviantart.com/art/Leonardo-ambush-unfinshed-203532453

    ReplyDelete
  3. That style reminds me of a style that was used for the coloring books that were produced in the late 80s/early 90s. I know its not your drawing here, but its possible it was a design sample for the coloring book cover. Leo doesn't have the scabbard in the drawing, but everything else looks strikingly similar.

    Here is a link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/terrible2z/2107198974/

    Hope I am on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually I did do the drawing, heres what it looked like when i started out in IllustStudio.

    http://riseoftheronin.blogspot.com/2011/03/leonardo-wip.html

    I've been doing alot of TMNT drawings in my sketch book ever since I discovered Mr. P. Laird's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mr. Peter Laird : That's awesome picture!!

    ReplyDelete